Skip to content

Are you worried about an adult? Please call 0344 800 8020

Report a concern

Raising a concern

Under the Care Act 2014, the local authority takes the lead role in receiving and managing enquiries about adults with care and support needs (or appearance of these needs) who may be experiencing or at risk of harm or abuse. In Norfolk this is Norfolk County Council (NCC) Adult Social Services.

Safeguarding adult duties apply where an adult living in the local area:

  • has needs for care and support (or appears to have those needs)
  • is experiencing, or at risk of, abuse or neglect
  • and is unable to protect themselves from that abuse or neglect because of their care and support needs

Remember, even if the safeguarding duties do not apply, and a safeguarding enquiry under s42 Care Act does not happen, Adult Social Services may still be able to support the person in the usual ways or signpost to other options.

You can raise a safeguarding adults concern to Adult Social Services:

By telephone: 0344 800 8020 – this connects you to NCC customer service centre and they will help you to find the right route for your concern.

Or online: Report a concern - Safeguarding - Norfolk County Council

The local authority will come back to you as soon as possible - bear in mind responses will depend on the information you provide and the level of risk you have identified; there may be other reasons for delay.

To understand what happens next, NSAB have produced a graphic to explain the safeguarding adults process to show how your concern may be taken forward:

What happens when I raise a safeguarding concern? 

To make sure you have as much information as possible ready for the call, use this checklist to see if there is anything else you need to know:

Raising a concern checklist

FAQs about raising a safeguarding concern

In an emergency, if the person is at immediate risk or in danger, ring 999