Our events from the past 12 months
In conversation with Kenny Gibson MBE, Deputy Director, NHS Safeguarding, Monday 20 November
We kicked off national safeguarding adults week with this 'in conversation' style event. We always enjoy hearing from Kenny, who is frank, honest, and witty. In this exchange, Walter Lloyd-Smith discussed current safeguarding issues with Kenny.
Kenny began his career with the NHS as a laundry assistant in a mental health unit. He was encouraged to become a nursing assistant and then trained as a nurse and then as a midwife. He has held various operational, management and strategic posts in both community and public health and was recognised in the New Year Honours list in December 2021 (source: england.nhs.uk/2021/12/nhs-vaccine-programme-chief-among-health-service-honours/ )
Animal hoarding webinar, Tuesday 26 September
Justine Wilkinson is a chartered environmental health practitioner with over 25 years' experience working within local government.
Justine joined us virtually to set the scene around what animal hoarding is, the signs to look out for, and gave some real life scenarios. She also gave examples of interventions that have been tried and those that have worked.
If you head to our self-neglect and hoarding page you will see the slides that Justine presented, as well as lots more information around self-neglect and hoarding.
Unpaid carers & safety webinar, Monday 5 June
At the start of national Carers Week, we held a free webinar where Norfolk County Council's operational carers lead, Marie Smith, looked at the challenges that carers can face on a daily basis, plus advised what support is out there for carers who are concerned about their safety.
FREE Understanding Autism Webinar Thursday 27 April
Following some recent learning around communication, the Suffolk Safeguarding Partnership, Norfolk Safeguarding Adults Board and partners commissioned Autism Anglia to deliver a virtual webinar for professionals to support them in gaining a better understanding of autism, including the core features and sensory differences.
The webinar explored the following:
- Understanding behaviour and presentation and any risks to be aware of.
- Diagnosis and wait times for diagnosis.
- The impact of environments on a child/adult with autism.
- The importance of involving people with autism in their own care and decisions about their care.
- How to adapt language and use accessible language.
- The use of non-verbal tools.
- The importance of reasonable adjustments under the equality act.
- Skills to reassure and help people feel respected/treated as an equal.
- Signposting for support and services.
- How professionals should listen and communicate with a child/adult who has autism to safely support them.