What's Safeguarding? Keep safe sessions for service users
The aims of this engaging and interactive session are:
- To enable people with care and support needs to understand that they have the right to live their life free of abuse and neglect.
- To identify what a good relationship with a carer or a friend looks like.
- To be able delegates to raise safeguarding issues of concern to them in a safe, supportive, and enabling environment.
- To understand when they may be being abused or exploited by another person, online or virtually (types of harm).
- To know that they can say ‘no’ to things that feel uncomfortable to them or which ‘just don’t feel right’ and to know who to tell about it to ensure that they stay safe from harm (empowerment).
- To know that staff working with them will enable them to talk about what they want to happen to keep safe if they are ever harmed by another person (Making Safeguarding Personal).
The format of the session
This will be an interactive session and the trainer will be flexible to meet the needs of the group. The trainer will contact the organisation before the session to gain an understanding of the specific needs of the group, any issues which may ‘trigger’ any delegates and to establish how many staff will be attending to support delegates, and what their role will be.
The timing of the session is flexible. We suggest three hours, but some groups may need a shorter session or to have two or three breaks to achieve three hours of learning.
The learning methods are flexible and interactive with engaging activities rather than lots of information delivered by the trainer.
The delegates will be encouraged to evaluate their learning. This may be via an engaging evaluation form, or it could be a short group video, or a picture, poster etc. We would like to see a feedback loop so that Norfolk County Council and Norfolk Safeguarding Adults Board gain an understanding of the safeguarding issues of concern to service users.
If you are interested in booking a session for the people you work with please contact [email protected]