Skip to content

Are you worried about an adult? Please call 0344 800 8020

Report a concern

What is the Domestic Violence Disclosure Scheme?

Also known as Clare’s Law, the Domestic Violence Disclosure Scheme gives you the right to make an application to the police to find out if your partner has a history of abuse.

The aim of the scheme is to: 

  • give you formal ways to make enquiries about your partner if you are worried that they may have been abusive in the past
  • help you make a more informed decision on whether to continue a relationship
  • provide further help and support to assist you when making that choice.

If police checks show that your partner has a record of violent behaviour, or if there is other information to indicate that you may be at risk from your partner, the police will consider sharing this information with you. You can also make an application if you are worried that someone you know may be in a relationship with a previously abusive partner.

How do I make an application?

There are many different ways you can contact the police. You can:

  • visit a police station 
  • phone 101, the non-emergency number for the police
  • speak to a member of the police on the street.

For further information about the Domestic Violence Disclosure Scheme or to make a request for information under it, please contact Norfolk Police on 101. 

If you believe there is an immediate risk of harm to someone, or if it is an emergency, you should always call 999.

Click here for Norfolk Police webpage on domestic abuse.