Webinar for social workers on asking about and responding to domestic violence and abuse | 24 January
The Social Care Centre of Excellence will be hosting a webinar for social workers on Friday 24 January. Called - Asking about and responding to domestic violence and abuse, this will be a great opportunity to find out how to use NICE guidance to improve support for people who have experienced domestic abuse and their children.
The webinar will be taking place at 13:00 – 14:00 GMT on Friday 24 January 2020 and will cover:
- Asking about violence and abuse, including:
- recognising the indicators of domestic violence and abuse
- creating the right environment,
- understanding which questions to ask to support people to disclose past or current domestic violence or abuse (including controlling and coercive behaviour)
Responding to a disclosure of violence and abuse, including:
- considering the type of support needed, both immediately and longer term, for women and their children
- making referrals to other agencies, including referring children to child protection services
- recording discussions and agreed actions
Although aimed at social worker this will be interest to staff working in other sectors. Click here for more information about the webinar.
NICE (National institute for health and care excellence) produce evidence-based guidance, advice and quality standards supporting best practice in health and social care. The following are relevant to this topic:
- Domestic violence and abuse: multi-agency working (PH50)
- Decision-making and mental capacity (NG108)