Suffolk domestic abuse conference 20 May 2020 - “Multiple perspectives and interconnectedness”
The Domestic Abuse Research Network (DARNet) is holding a domestic abuse conference on the theme: 'Multiple perspectives and interconnectedness' - 20 May 2020, cost £45.
Nearly two decades ago, 'What works in reducing domestic violence' was published in 2001 by Julie Taylor-Browne. This comprehensive work, aimed at professionals, summarised what was known about the successes of various initiatives and agencies in dealing with domestic violence and abuse (DVA), drawing on contributions from academic and non-academic experts. Today, conversations around evidence-based approaches continue to permeate discussions on DVA. Over the years, sophisticated and more pragmatic approaches have been marshalled to reduce/tackle DVA and to meet the needs of those experiencing DVA.
This one-day conference aims to bring together professionals, students, trainees and academics to further our understanding of domestic violence and abuse interventions; and by extension, how do multi-disciplinary approaches help in resolving the tensions surrounding the complexity of DVA?
The theme of the conference is: 'Multiple perspectives and interconnectedness of approaches in a context of domestic violence and abuse (DVA)'. Confirmed speakers include:
- Nicole Jacobs, Domestic Abuse Commissioner for England and Wales
- Nicola Beach, Chief Executive, Suffolk County Council
- Gareth Wilson, Deputy Chief Constable of the Ministry of Defence Police
- Professor Gene Feder, Professor of Primary Care, University of Bristol
- Chantal Hughes, CEO Hampton Trust
- Suzanne Jacobs, Chief Executive, Safelives
- Bal Howard, BKH Training
- Alison Bird, Interim Services Director/Clinical Lead for the Independent Stalking Advocacy Service
- Dr Olumide Adisa, Research Fellow/Interim Head of Centre for Abuse Research, University of Suffolk
- Dr Nicola Sharp-Jeffs, Founder/Director, Surviving Economic Abuse/ Visiting Senior Fellow, University of Suffolk
- John Trott, Consultant and Trainer, Abuse Free Life