Safeguarding adults with dementia during the COVID-19 crisis
Safeguarding adults with dementia is an important part of everyday work for providers of adult social care. The Social Care Institute for Excellence (SCIE) have published a quick guide which aims to support care providers and staff to safeguard people with dementia during the crisis.
There are increased concerns that, during the COVID-19 crisis, people may be more vulnerable to abuse or neglect. This may be a result of:
- increased social isolation
- stress on carers and caring relationships
- overstretched and stressed care staff
- an increase in criminal behaviour (scams etc)
- an increase in domestic abuse
- a range of new contacts (volunteers, those delivering food and medicines).