Skip to content

Are you worried about an adult? Please call 0344 800 8020

Report a concern

Do you know your Safeguarding from your safeguarding?

The word 'safeguarding' can be interpreted in different ways which can cause confusion for some professionals when they have to decide on what course of action to take when encountering a person who is in need of support. 

Safeguarding can mean two things: a formal safeguarding response, under s42 of the Care Act, or a more general response to keep somebody safe and to ensure that their needs are met.  Sometimes, to differentiate between the two, 'Safeguarding' (with a capital S) is used to identify a formal safeguarding response and 'safeguarding' (with a small s) identifies a more general response to keep somebody safe.  Read our NSAB guide here for more detail