FAQs on COVID-19 adult safeguarding
The Local Government Association (LGA) and the Association of Directors of Adult Social Services in England (ADASS) have published a very useful set of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) on COVID adult safeguarding (22nd May 2020).
These FAQs are grouped under three headings:
- overarching issues
- issues for Safeguarding Adults Boards (SABs); and
- safeguarding issues regarding specific areas of abuse or neglect.
This is very useful reference document for everyone working in or interested in adult safeguarding including local government officers and elected members as well as partners of safeguarding adults boards (SABs). The document covers a range of questions for example:
- does COVID-19 and responses to it affect duties and responsibilities to safeguarding adults,
- how can safeguarding adults boards assist partners during the COVID-19 crisis and recovery and support their local communities
- how can concerns be addressed about safeguarding people in care homes and other institutions (in the context of specific risks of ‘hidden abuse’, exposed by Winterbourne View, Whorlton Hall, as well as the high mortality rates reported from COVID-19)?